Fiesta is here! Are you ready? If you’re not, no worries! If you’ve never been??!!! No worries. Follow these tips and tricks to make your Fiesta fun and stress free.
1. Shoes! This is the most important choice you will make during Fiesta. Wear the right shoes! If you wear chanclas or cute sandals, your feet will be stepped on and toes will be crushed. Also, if you decide to wear heels, you are not allowed to take them off and walk barefoot. Friends don’t let friends be Pata Sucias.
2. Purchase tickets in advance! You’re already having to stand in the chicken on a stick line, beer line and bathroom line. Don’t add another line.
3. NIOSA has banned all big bags, book bags and diaper bags. Plan on bringing a small clutch or one of those trendy belt bags.
4. Make a meet up plan with friends. Everywhere you go there will be a large crowd. This means cell phone signal gets iffy and the crowds make it impossible for you to find your friends.
5. Get dropped off! Trying to park at Fiesta is a nightmare. There’s tons of ways to get dropped off instead. Check the VIA routes (they usually offer a park & ride), Uber & Lyft have drop off locations, ride a bike or best way is to ask a friend to drop you off.
6. Don’t get mad at your friend that just threw cascarones at you. Instead be ready with a secret cascaron hidden in your pocket and get them back!
7. Battle of Flowers Parade starts early! Streets get closed off around 8am. The parade begins at 9:30am instead of its usual 11:30am. Get there early! Plan on having a torta for breakfast. Mmmm…
8. Sunscreen! If you’re that friend walking around with sunscreen for everyone, you a real one.
9. If you see a chair chained up to a tree or a poll you must respect that chair since someone’s tio/tia chained it up days in advance to save seats for his/her family. You can’t sit there!
10. Don’t drink and drive! Seriously. Don’t even think about it!
Happy Fiesta babes! I hope I run into you at NIOSA with a chicken on a stick in one hand and a flying cascaron in the other. xo Shadia